Here are my most memorable moments from 2011 (in no particular order):
* Being petrified of some new responsibilities at work.
* Long dinners with friends at various restaurants across the city – laughing until crying, the fantastic hugs at the end – feeling connected with a family I created.
* The horrible awkwardness of delivering a bad performance review.
* Crying outside the DeYoung in San Francisco, calling my mom at work so she could talk me through how to tell DH and the kids that I feel like I don’t fit in with the family.
* Subsequent conversation with kids, trying to explain why I felt I didn’t fit in with the family sometimes.
* Finding new muscles in my shoulder blades that I didn’t know I had (thanks to Mandy)
* Getting styled up with some new clothes and jewelry – choosing to look great even though I was fat.
* Behind-the-scenes tour of Monterey Bay Aquarium.
* Seeing all the cool things grown in California on the drive to Monterey Bay Aquarium – strawberries, brussel sprouts, kale.
* When DH found his wedding ring after it had been missing for months.
* SD’s straight As!
* Conquering JewelQuest on my iPad.
* Hours talking in therapy.
* Deciding I could still love myself, even if I was fat.
* The adorable measuring cup sets I got for Christmas.
* Weekends spent writing papers for school, trying not to be bitter about it.
* My beautiful winter coat that I wore once before it was stolen. And the replacement which is even more beautiful.
* Putting quarters in the parking meter at the med school.
* Painting SS’s room in the unairconditioned late summer heat.
* The joy of beautiful new rooms for the kids.
* Discovering what a great writer SS is.
* Getting iPhones
* Dinners at Cafe des Amis with DH
* The first time the kids saw (and touched) the Pacific Ocean
* Loooooooooooooooong stretches of Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado seen from the car window
* Camp Ginger
* Everybody at my mom & dad’s for Thanksgiving, being awesome
* Eating dairy regularly for the first time in a long time
* Superfun business trip to Los Angeles
* Superwretched business trip to North Carolina
* Harry Potter – the books and the movies
* The skytram in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and the delightful coldness at the top.
* Watching episodes of Modern Family over and over and over again with DH and the kids – debating who we loved the best and the funniest line. For me, it is Cameron and “I would have blown the money on flowers anyway, so they saved me a step.”
* Endlessly quoting Modern Family to each other – “What’s the plan, Bill” “Ta-da!” “Do you, <insert name>, do you?” “dig-a-dig-a-dig-a” “Welcome to your nightmare, ha ha ha ha ha.” “Go Bullfrogs!” “Slow Down Your Neighbors”
* Watching all of the episodes of iCarly and developing a crush on Spencer.
* Missing having time/energy to craft
* Needing to take a moment to remember exactly how old I was – 37
* The vacation home we rented – with the gigantic windows and the dining room table where we worked on the Yellowstone puzzle and the renderings of pregnant, nekkid women everywhere.
* SS’s snowglobe collection
* SD’s butterfly collection
* My cousin’s wedding
* Spending a night in the hospital with DH.